1. Neonatal Complications -
1.3 Million cases/year
- About one third of all new born infant deaths are related to respiratory complications.
- Nitric Oxide is currently being used to cure these problems in infants, with a high degree of success.
- Treatments cost about $125 per hour and usually last about 72 hours. Due to the high cost, the use of Nitric Oxide in this market is very limited.
- Nu-Med Plus is developing a cost-effective way to produce and transmit Nitric Oxide.
2. COPD -
80 Million cases/year
- A disease of the lungs that is the third leading cause of death in the U.S. and the fourth leading cause of death worldwide.
3. Tuberculosis -
8 Million cases/year
- Lethal infectious disease that attacks the lungs of the person infected.
- Nitric Oxide has been used in trials and has shown promising results to cure the disease.
2.2 Million cases/year
- Severe lung syndrome with no known cure.
- Inhaled Nitric Oxide reduces the vascular resistance of open alveoli, exerting a potentially beneficial effect on arterial oxygenation.
5. Malaria -
216 Million cases/year
- This disease is transmitted through mosquitoes to humans and is most prevalent in Africa.
- About 1 million people die every year from this disease and there is currently no known cure.
- Most of the survivors have severe respiratory problems.
- Inhaled NO potentially may well be used as adjuvant therapy in children with severe malaria because of its’ systemic anti-inflammatory properties to "buy time" for chemical antiparasite therapy to lower the parasite load.